Social awareness is one of the basic components of emotional intelligence. Travis Bradberry, the author of Emotional Intelligence 2.0 defines the social awareness as your ability to identify the emotions and monologue running in others’ mind while living in between them. More clearly, the social awareness is the feeling that you have regarding the thoughts of the second person. What the social awareness does is that it makes you aware of the emotional stratum of others while living in between them. However, it is not always possible as very often we go deep into our own thoughts that we cannot feel others’ state of mind.
If you can stay focused and spot the emotions of others’ and identify their needs in a decent way, then, you have a good sense of emotional awareness. On contrary, if you find that you lack social awareness skills, you can increase social awareness, furthermore, in the upcoming posts, we would discuss the steps to improve social awareness. The social awareness has a direct relationship with the emotional intelligence. If your emotional intelligence level is high, then, you have high chances of success in every category of life. There are certain traits of people with high level of social awareness and low level of social awareness. Let’s have an overview.
Traits of People With High Level of Social Awareness
- Adjust to difficult situations very properly.
- Manage to make a relationship very quickly.
- High level of productivity.
- Good relationship management skills.
- Have good leadership skills and lead the team very well.
- No matter the audience level, they know how to lead and control.
- Perceive the problems of others as their own.
- Listen carefully.
- They have a win-win mindset.
Traits of People With Low Level of Social Awareness
- They put their opinion without listening to others.
- They are restless.
- Don’t care about others’ feelings and needs.
- Not active listeners.
- Don’t include others while taking decisions.
These are the characteristics of people with a high and low level of social awareness. People with good social awareness are socially conscious. They practice social awareness activities. No matter at what level of life you are, you can increase your social awareness. There are ample of resources to increase social awareness, consequently, increasing your emotional intelligence.
Sources: Travis Bradberry Emotional Intelligence 2.0